• Facebook Социальной Иконка
  • YouTube - серый круг
  • Серый Instagram Иконка
  • telegram-logo_landlord

Renting out an apartment to a foreigner - a citizen of a civilized country, or even better to the embassy itself - is the dream of many landlords. It is clear that citizens of European countries, the United States and Canada are the best tenants, since they have for centuries cultivated a correct attitude towards other people's property and payment discipline, respect for the terms of a lease and the concept of civil order. As a rule, there are no problems with such tenants, and they pay regularly, and sometimes in hard currency. Not tenants, but a dream.

However, not every apartment owner in Kiev can count on such happiness. For more than 20 years I have been renting apartments in Kiev to foreigners and in this article I will tell you by what criteria the embassy apartments are chosen and whether it is so cloudless to rent an apartment to a foreigner.


In the meantime, there is no need to worry about it. ”

The first criterion of the embassy when choosing real estate will of course be the location. Despite the fact that not all embassies in Kiev are located in the center of the capital, 97% of them choose housing for their employees in the center of the city. Take the US Embassy as an example. The embassy complex is located on the street. Aircraft designer I. Sikorsky, between Nyvky Park and Syretsky Park, and apartments for employees are selected in the city center. With rare exceptions, and only for the most top-ranked employees of the embassies, detached cottages - residences in other parts of the city, usually in Podol or Pechersk - can be considered.

The center of the capital for embassies is also quite limited. Two districts are usually considered: the old center, where most of the embassies are located, bounded by B. Khmelnitsky - Trekhsvyatitelskaya streets and from Khreshchatyk to Observatornaya; as well as a part of the center to the south of T. Shevchenko Boulevard maximum up to Zhilyanskaya, limited by st. Shota Rustaveli. I repeat that we are talking specifically about embassies, and not about employees of foreign companies, for whom there may be other criteria.


It is also important to note that usually housing for embassy employees is selected by specially appointed managers who have been dealing with housing problems of their employees for years and already know almost all the problems of houses where they have already settled employees. Given this, such specialists at the embassies already have certain preferences and, on the contrary, prejudices regarding certain houses. As an example, I can tell you the following case. 4 years ago I settled the family of an embassy employee in a house on the street. Tolstoy. Some time after their arrival, the neighbors began repairs, which took quite a long time. As a result, I had to repeatedly negotiate both with the tenant and with the neighbors on the work schedule in order to make the tenant's stay as comfortable as possible. In addition to the noise itself, of course, there were other problems with the construction crew, who regularly blocked the elevator, littered, and turned off the water. The tenant reported to me about all these problems directly at any time of the day. However, I was never told that the water pressure in the tap is extremely low. As a result, when the lease term came to an end (as well as the renovation of neighbors) and I offered the same apartment to the embassy, ​​I was told that the house was blacklisted because there were many complaints and the water pressure in the house was poor. However, the main problem voiced - the water pressure - was for a simple reason - the landlord did not change the water filters in the apartment on time. As a result, not only the apartment, but the house itself "came under sanctions." So it is important to know that even if your house is in the right place and meets all the criteria, a bad reputation can cancel out all the advantages, and, accordingly, the chances of renting an apartment to the embassy.

In addition to the location itself, other criteria are important, for example, the security service looks at the proximity of other houses, approaches to the entrance of the house, they make sure that at least one balcony faces the street, and some embassies do not consider apartments above the 7th floor.

Subscribe to new articles to stay updated

By clicking the "Subscribe to the newsletter" button you agree to the processing of your personal data

Number of rooms

In the meantime, there is no need to know about it. ”

Embassy employees, as a rule, are selected apartments with at least 4 rooms. In this case, there must be at least 3 bedrooms. Even if a family of 2 people will live, the embassy will still rent at least 3 bedrooms for them, but if there are children in the family, the embassy will rent at least 4 bedrooms for them, that is, 5-6 room apartment. In very extreme cases (mainly for employees of northern European countries) they rent a 3-room apartment for a family of 2 people. Although this is more the exception than the rule. Thus, the average statistics for renting apartments for embassies by the number of rooms is as follows:

Apartment design for rent

In the meantime, there is no need to worry about it. ”

With the design of apartments for rent to embassies, everything is more or less certain. The design should be as light and calm as possible. Scandinavian-style apartments are especially popular. In any case, the walls should be light and the furniture should be modern. No colored wallpaper. Apartments in a heavy classic style with wood trim are popular only with the embassies of eastern states.

In the meantime, there is no need to worry about it. ”

In the next article, you will find out what documents are important, what are the terms of the lease agreement and how you need to equip an apartment for renting to the embassy.

In the meantime, there is no need to worry about it. ”

In the meantime, there is no need to worry about it. ”

If you want to rent your apartment to the embassy or employee of a foreign company, click the button below